As a parent, each one of us has a role to play. And the most important role of every parent is to mold our children and to support them with their goals all the way.
Our role as parents does not stop after their graduation, or when they settle down. Our commitment is a lifetime job without compensation. It is a shower of love without condition.
Raising our children while motivating them to strive hard and harder is the ultimate goal of mothers and fathers. As first teachers, it is our responsibility to shape them into better individuals and guide them through until they are on their own. However, we never cease to support them.
Here are some tips on how to help your children in following their dreams:
- Start early in shaping their dreams. Start while they are young. Children’s first education starts at home and the first teachers are the parents. It is important for children to grow up with a clear direction and motivation. With full encouragement, inspiration and good advices from parents, children’s goals are easy to achieve.
- Total engagement. Support is not always monetary. Children will appreciate it much if the parents are there for them and with them throughout their endeavors. We should be visible during the most important activities of our children. Visible parents not only show up to cheer but are hands-on in every decision a child makes.
- Be a good example. Parents who practice what they preach deliver well and this makes it easier for children to follow their path. Acting as role models, parents should show children what is right and what is best for them.
- Indulge. Always find time with them no matter how busy you are. This way, parents can monitor what the kids do and always there to advise and give opinions and suggestions. This is what we call quality time.
- Listen. Allow children to choose their path. You may suggest and give advices but respect their decision. They know what they are doing and complete trust is what they need.
- Give them a good pat in the back. Always take time to appreciate what they are doing or what they have achieved. Never say negative words for this will discourage them to go on. Always congratulate them for every little step they have made. Encouragement is always key to success.
- Be their rock. It is not easy to make it to the top. Sometimes they experience failure. Explain that failure is a part of growing up and a good lesson to learn. Obstacles are everywhere but remind them that you are there to help him get up and strive harder.
- Show your love and let them feel that they are special. Children who grow up supported by parents are the happiest children. Inspired and happy children are the ones who do best and do the right thing. When everything around him is harmonious, there is no reason for him to fail.
These are just simple tips but it surely works. All parents are good parents, no doubt. But it takes a lot of inspiration, encouragement and support to mold good children. It takes a lot of time too. It is our responsibility and at the same time a privilege to bring up our children, which many are deprived of.